A Shared Approach: assessment, prevention and treatment
Bringing together a new era of collaboration, information sharing and professional networking. The conference is being held from the 26th - 27th May 2014 at QT Hotel, Gold Coast.
Eating disorders, obesity and unhealthy dieting practices are a serious public health concern due to their high prevalence and adverse effects on psychological and physical health. The cost to the public health system is also of concern at all levels of Government and the Health Insurance sector. The increasing occurrence illustrates the urgent need to address the relationship between eating disorders and obesity, and other recommendations of health promoting activities.
Susan Yanovski, Director of the Obesity and Eating Disorders Program at the National Institutes of Diabetes in the USA told a conference audience "The eventual goal is not to think about obesity as a single problem, but to define the type of obesity with psychological and blood tests, and to weigh the genetic influences. Then we can target specific behavioural or pharmacological interventions".
This conference will encompass contemporary best practice, multidisciplinary care and research into the epidemiology, clinical manifestations and treatments relating to eating disorders and obesity. It will also examine Government and Health Sector Initiatives.
It will bring together clinical practitioners, academics, mental health experts and public health administrators from Australasia.
Shared information will include;
• On-going Research and Outcomes
• New Knowledge Developments: programs and strategies
• Latest evidence and guidelines on early diagnosis and successful case management
• New Treatments
• Research Validation of Early Intervention Strategies
• Prevention Strategies: examine and review effectiveness
• Translational Research - from lab bench to the clinic and individual patient
• Discussion on Best Practice
• Government and Health Sector Initiatives
- See more at: http://eatingdisordersaustralia.org.au/#sthash.VJwRoOS3.dpuf