Star AllianceTM: official airline of the ERS Barcelona 2013 Congress
The Star Alliance member airlines are pleased to be appointed as the Official Airline Network for European Respiratory Society.
Public transport ticket
Barcelona offers an extensive travel network by underground, tram and bus. The complimentary T-ERS ticket, which is included in the registration fee, will allow free use of all Barcelona Metropolitan transport in the city during the Congress period September 7–11, 2013. This ticket is not valid on the Aerobus (airport bus).
Arrival at Barcelona International Airport
Barcelona's main international airport is only 15 km (around 20 minutes), from the city centre. When arriving at Barcelona Airport, you have several options for reaching the city centre. The airport has 2 terminals (T1 and T2), please note carefully at which terminal you are arriving and from which you are departing.
There are three ways to travel to Barcelona city centre:
- Bus/public transportation: the Aerobus is a shuttle bus service departing from the airport every 5–10 minutes and reaching the city centre - Plaça Catalunya station in 35 minutes (4 stops). There are 2 lines of Aerobus, A1 and A2, going, respectively, to Terminal 1 and 2. You may buy the ticket on the bus; the fare is €5.30 for a single ticket and €9.15 for a return ticket. Once you reach Pl. Catalunya, you may continue your journey by underground. Pl. Catalunya is the main underground station of Barcelona.
- Train: Train R2 departs from Terminal 2. If you are travelling from Terminal 1, you will need to take a bus that links both terminals to reach the airport train station. It takes 19 minutes to reach Barcelona Sants station, the main train hub of the city. Should you wish to continue your journey closer to the city centre, the R2 continues onto Passeig de Gracia station, which is located in the city centre. From both stations, you can continue your trip with the underground. The cost of a one way journey is €3.80.
- Taxi: Taxis are available in front of the airport arrival buildings in both terminals. A taxi from the Airport to the city centre costs approximately €30 per trip and takes about 20 minutes. Please be advised that in Barcelona, there may be an extra charge for suitcases or journeys to the the airport, and/or night supplements.
Arrival in Barcelona by train
In Barcelona, there are two major train stations, and both have access to the underground system to get around the city.
- Barcelona Sants: this the main train station to the west of the city from which trains for national and international destinations also depart.
- Passeig de Gracia: this station is located in the city centre of Barcelona.
How to get to the Congress Centre
From the city centre, there are three ways to get to Fira Gran Via:
- Underground (FGC): The FGC train network is the most convenient way to reach Gran Via and the nearest stop is "Europa/Fira", a three-minute walk from the Fira entrance. To get to "Europa/Fira" you must take any train that leaves the FGC station at "Plaça Espanya". An FGC train leaves"Plaça Espanya" about every five minutes and the journey takes six minutes. "Plaça Espanya" is a major transport hub and can be reached on the metro or by a number of buses.
- Taxis: A taxi from the city centre (Plaça Catalunya) to the Fira takes approximately 20 minutes and will cost around €20.
- Car: There are motorways leading to Barcelona from all directions. If you are coming from the north, head for the Ronda Litoral and take exit 17 signposted "Gran Via M2". If you are coming from the south or west head for Ronda Litoral exit "Barcelona Fires - Gran Via". Coming from the airport take Gran Via and you will see the Congress centre signposted as Fira Gran Via.
Departure for Barcelona International Airport
You can get the number 46 bus from near the Congress Centre (Plaça Europa) direct to Terminals 1 and 2 at the airport. It takes approximately 30 minutes.
Public transportation from the City Centre
Take the Aerobus (A1 to terminal 1, A2 to terminal 2) from in front of El Corte Inglés in Pl. Catalunya, from Barcelona Sants train station or from Plaça Espanya in front of the Hotel Plaza.
Alternatively take the train R2 from Passeig de Gracia, Barcelona Sants to Terminal 2. If you are travelling from Terminal 1, you will need to take a bus that links both terminals.
More Information on Travel from and to the Airport:
For more information, please visit the Barcelona Airport Website.